Thursday, January 6, 2011

Books pirates forced me to read this week at gunpoint

Isn’t it weird that read (as in go read that- future tense) and read (as in I already read that – past tense) are spelt the same? It’s like when you look at a word for too long and you’re like fork can’t just be four letters. It’s deceiving me!

Anyhow, I’ve decided to start up a weekly section called what I read this week (actually I’ve changed it. That was too boring). I read at least one book a week, and even if it’s as boring as crap for you, at least it can advise you not to read the stuff I’m reading. And trust me; I have no shame when it comes to reading crappy books. I own the complete Princess Diaries and I’m proud of it. I may even name my daughter Mia.

This week I started out with The Distant Hours by Kate Moreton. Kate is actually a family friend so it’s interesting to read her books and pick up little personal references. This is her third book and I think the best. I read it in one afternoon and was hooked from the beginning. It skillfully weaves the narratives of three sisters and a history hunting daughter and is full of mystery and family secrets. Kick-ass book Kate! She should totally put this review on her back cover.

My next book was The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett, the amazing author of A Little Princess (which is not to be confused with The Princess Diaries, although clearly I have a thing for princesses). I’ve read this before but only just found a copy to keep and was inspired by a Vixen Vintage post on the movie. It’s also kick-ass- full of ugly sour girls and bitchy cripples and a total babe called Dickon (imagine him having that name now. Poor bastard. I actually interviewed a teenager whose last name was Dickfrost recently. Sucks to be him). Is it wrong to be crushing on a 12-year-old? Well yes, but he had a lot of animals and I’m a sucker for animals.

Third book was So Much To Tell You by John Marsden, best known for the Tomorrow When The War Began series. This was his first published book and it’s amazing. The book is the journal of a girl who no longer speaks after a horrific accident involving her father. John doesn’t spell out the accident, the results or the situation but lets the reader uncover it.

Next on the agenda – Sleepers by Lorenzo Carcaterra. I read it several years ago but can’t remember much of it. It is an autobiography of sorts, about when Lorenzo and three mates accidently kill someone in a prank, go to boys reformatory and then become hardened criminals themselves after being abused by the guards. Eventually the boys grow into men and shoot their tormentor in a crowded bar decades later, than stand trial for the murder.

Anybody got any more recommendations for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment